Family Court Matters

Decades of Experience  |  Founded in 2000  |  Locally Owned Family Law Firm

Additional Areas of Family Law

When you choose McGuire Condon, P.C., you’re getting over six decades of combined legal experience in all areas of family law. In addition to our primary areas of practice involving divorce, separation, child custody and support, and related issues, we can assist with a number of other family court matters.

Marriage Dissolution

A marriage can also be ended via a case filed at the family court, asking for a court order. This can cover divorce or annulments. Courts can also grant a separation, where an order is issued regarding property, alimony, and child custody, though the parties remain legally married.

Paternity and Child Custody

A case can be filed in family court to determine the paternity of a child by either parent. This will permanently establish the father of the child. Additionally, unmarried parents can also ask the court to order legal custody, physical custody, visitation schedules, and child support.

Domestic Violence Protection Orders

Domestic abuse victims can ask a family court to issue a protection order against their abuser.

Change of Name

An adult or a child may legally change their name via family court.


Guardianship involves determining who is responsible for the medical, personal, and financial decisions of an adult or child who cannot care for themselves.

Adoptions and Termination of Parental Rights

If there are serious reasons why a parent should not have a parental relationship with a child, then the family court may terminate their parental rights. These reasons can include abandonment, abuse, and neglect.

If another individual wants to become a child’s legal parent, the family court can grant adoption to legally create a parent-child relationship.

Juvenile Matters

The family court also oversees all matters involving allegations of child abuse or neglect, as well as where minors are accused of any illegal behavior. These matters are primarily handled by the District Attorney – Juvenile Division. The family court can also approve any work permits for individuals under 14 years old.

Emancipation and Underage Marriages

Individuals under the age of 18 who wish to be emancipated (legally free from the control of their parents) or get married can petition the family court for approval.

“Liberty is the right to do what the law permits.”